Scan 1: 20 minutes - full body scan. The machine was flat and an inch from my nose. They literally rubber band my feet together before the scan, covered me with a blanket since it was so cold in there and told me to stay still. No matter what, with each scan, the trigger word was 'still' and a mysterious itch would come over me. It became a joke for me.
I then had a 2 minute break to stretch before starting the next scan.
Scan 2: 20 minutes - surgery site scan. Again the machine was flat and an inch from my nose. This time, my feet were not rubber band together. She covered me up again and told me to stay still. Each time, I would just fall asleep and the scan was complete.
I was asked to sit in a chair in the hallway for 15 minutes and wait before being taken into another room.
Scan 3: 5 minute scan to take neck measurements. Just like one yesterday.
I was told to go to the waiting room and as I was walking they called for Mr. Halitsky - Kevin came around the corner as I was turning around. I said 'hi' 'bye' and was off again to another scan.
Scan 4: 45 minute Catscan. This time, I was strapped down. I had a sponge thing that went up my head over my ears and then a strap came over my head to hold my head still. I had to put my arms straight down and my hands were strapped down to my waist. So for 45 minutes, I had my head and arms pinned, was told to stay still while this machine circled slowly around me just a couple of inches from my face again. Of course, the itches began again so I couldn't help but chuckle but better yet, so did my restless leg syndrome. For those of you who don't know what it is, it's a creepy crawly feeling that runs down your hip through your leg until your leg twitches. How the heck does one stay still through that. LOL! I think I slept this time. The whole time, all I could think of is my dad and mother in law being claustophobic and how it would be so hard on them.
I was then given a 45 minute break to get some lunch so a quick salad. When I returned at 12:30 it was time for more scans.
Scan 5: 10 minute scan - surgery site scan. This time a cone instead of the flat machine pointed at my neck. I had to stay still but this time, I was starting to lose it. My feet moved a bit more.
We then were directed into a room to wait for the doctor. The doctor came in and explained to us in detail just where everything is at, what the TSH Thyroid Stimulating Hormone, T4 Levothyodxive and T3 Triivdothyroxive (sp) levels should be, how the brain gives signals, hypothyrodism, hyperthyrodism, how to get those levels where we need them, etc. And most importantly, where my cancer is. Which is stage 1 but where they expected. The thyroid tissue that was very hard to get to was still in the surgery site. This doesn't mean that it was cancerous or anything, just that there was residual thyroid tissue there. So I will be having radiation at a medium level 150 mCi. So that means that I need to stay away from everyone for at minimum 5 days but 7 days is the running. 7 feet away at first and then after a couple of days, I can come within 3 feet for a couple of hours max. The most important thing is bodily oils/saliva/urine are the biggest concern. That is how the radioactive iodine exits your body. So a bathroom to myself, bag all of my food, paper products, etc separate from everyone else. The good news, is that Thursday, I can eat normal again and will start my thyroid meds. I'm thinking thick crust pizza loaded with toppings from Rellies but we will see. Although, my taste may change by Thursday. LOL! Poor Kevin.
We have taken it easy tonight. Nap this afternoon. Dinner. Hot tubbing. Watching a movie "My Best Friend's Girl". The calm before the storm. The actual Radioactive Iodine is administered tomorrow morning.
I can't believe how much snow they have here already. We are supposed to have 3-5 inches by morning, I think they have close to 4 already. Fun - NOT!
I hope you are all doing great. It's great reading your comments. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.
Well for one thing, your memory is incredible. You rmemember every detail and when something is an inch from yoru nose, no room for a pad and paper, lol.
ReplyDeleteKeep up your sense of humor, and may all the ppl that have every wronged you in life get your RLS instead of you! I can't imagine having to stay still during that! YOU ARE SUPERWOMAN!
xo
Carol
So, I'm thinking that I need to buy you a supersized box of chocolate covered cherries to get you through a few days of binging!! What a nightmare of tests but there is light at the end of this annoying tunnel!
ReplyDeleteLOVE YOU!! Neh
Your treatment has been so different than mine, I can't wait to see you, my thoughts and prayers are with you always, i dont think I have had any side effects other than getting med levels right,they say it can take up to two years, I think they are pretty close now.bye for now Love Uncle Norm
ReplyDeleteUnbelievable! You and your memory. I can't even imagine being "still" for that long. I would have to scratch my nose for sure!!Dear friend I went through nothing like this with my cancer. You are very strong.Remember we have a date to walk in the Relay together next May. Lots of snow here(Muskegon)too.Over 33 inches since Nov.30 but some melted with our last warm up. Last sat.night it was 48 degrees and Sunday it was 13!Crazy When do you get to come home?
ReplyDeleteHang in there.
Korkye
Hey Girl,
ReplyDeleteSounds like you're having a blast! NOT!!! We are praying for you and hoping for a speedy return to work. Hang in there see ya soon. Love, Michelle
Hi Hon, and this to shall pass. You have such incredible strength to go through this with humor and calming reassurance to the rest of us. God Bless you. Uncle Tom has the restless leg syndrom and I am clostrophobic - they have to sedate me. Is this something new about staying away after radiation? Norm also had to. But I remember we were all with nanna right after her radiation treatments. We love you and have you in all our prayers. Love Aunt Valerie
ReplyDeleteHi Jenina,
ReplyDeleteThanks for being so thorough with your descriptions of what all is going on. I know it in no way allows me to really glimpse what it must be like for you, but I still feel like I am part of it with you. I hope you know we are all praying for you. Rest up and heal up. We love you.
Dani