Monday, December 15, 2008

12/15/2008 - Day 1 - Radioactive Iodine Treatment begins

8:00 -  We dropped the boys off to my mom and then drove to U of M. 

9:00 - Check in...  

9:30 - blood work taken and a chest xray.  

10:45 - They took me back to a room, had me sit in a barber chair very still for a few minutes to take measurements of my neck and then scanned me for a few minutes in both directions.  Then the lady sat a couple of needles in front of me, walked out with thick gloves and returned with a cart that had 4 brick lead blocks around a cylinder.  She unscrewed it, put 2 needles in and as I drank a small amount of radiation she added about 100 mg of water.  She walked it back out like she brought it in.  She walked me out to the waiting room and I was able to sit by Kevin for an hour.

12:00 -   No taste to the radiation but I did have a few odd sensations in my neck and a bit of a lump in my throat.  They took me back for scans and now I am done for the day.  

Rest of day - eating is so hard.  I am on the iodine free diet which means no iodized salt, milk and dairy products, breads containing iodate dough conditioners, supplements (like vitamins) containing iodine, foods containing iodized salt, seafood, a red food dye (FD & C Red #3), Alginate, algin, agar-agar, carrageenan, nori, iodine, iodates, iodides.  Which pretty much leaves me nada but fruits and veggies.  

So I got smart and asked Kevin about Mongolian BBQ.  Perfect.  I can have 5 ounces of chicken a day so for dinner I had my first dinner in a week that was satisfying. :)  Kevin and I went shopping for the boys.  Tomorrow is going to be  a long day of more radiation and full body scans.  I will update you tomorrow.  

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this with us Jenina :)
    Uncle Rick & Aunt Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Nina!! Call me if there is anything you need :) Even if its a piece of crazy pregnant lady insanity :) Love Neh

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are in my constant thoughts and prayers. God Bless you. I thought you started next Monday. As mentioned in my email to you and mom, if there is anything I can do, please let me know. Will the kids be at mom's for Christmas on the 23rd? We will miss you.
    Love, Aunt Valerie and Uncle Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jenina! We are thinking of you here. The kids keep asking where Jacob and Josh are, so they are missed too! Hang in there, hope to talk with you soon! Love Vern and Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Guys, well you made it through day 2! Just 3 more to go. If ya' just gotta' get away, I'm only 45 minutes from Ann Arbor! Prayers are with you. Love, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenina, Thank you for sharing this with us, you're in our thoughts & prayers. Love Uncle Jim & Aunt Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jenina, thank you for keeping us updated. You are in our thoughts are prayers. Love Aunt Sandy & Uncle Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chin up Gf. What doesn't kick us in the butt... makes us stronger.
    Love,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love ya! Miss ya! Your in my Prayers!

    Love Uncle Marvin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey There,

    Miss talking with you!

    After all you've been through and then some you definitely are WONDER WOMAN or maybe BIONIC WOMAN! I'm not sure but you have some sort of special strength that makes you stronger than anyone I know!

    Hang in there and we'll be thinking of you and talking with you soon!:)

    Love,

    Kel

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll bet it's fun to play 'hide and seek' with you - kind of hard to hide when you glow..... You're in my prayers and as always, in my heart. C Ya, Love, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Morning,
    Your almost there now,time flies when your having fun.
    Love Uncle Norm

    ReplyDelete